Bikes vs Cars


At the beginning of the Twentieth century 20% of traffic in Los Angeles (California) was made up of bicycles, whereas now we have gone below 1% and 78% of the population regularly uses the car for their daily movements. The result of this process is that as of now 70% of the City of Angels’ space has been taken over by roads and parking lots, while the 3.5 million inhabitants of the Californian metropolis have to settle for the remaining 30% of the space. The cycle activist Aline Cavalcante takes us into the daily slalom between such diverse vehicles, forced to share the same (little) space.

All’inizio del Novecento il 20% degli spostamenti a Los Angeles (California) venivano effettuati in bicicletta, mentre oggi siamo scesi sotto l’1% e il 78% della popolazione utilizza abitualmente l’automobile per i propri spostamenti quotidiani. Il risultato di questo processo è che allo stato attuale il 70% dello spazio della città degli angeli è occupato da strade e parcheggi, mentre i 3,5 milioni di abitanti della metropoli californiana devono accontentarsi del rimanente 30% dello spazio. La cicloattivista Aline Cavalcante ci accompagna nello slalom quotidiano, fra veicoli tanto diversi tra loro, costretti a condividere lo stesso (poco) spazio.

Film profile

Director: Frederick Gertten
Year: 2015
Duration: 90′
Country: Brasil
Language: Inglese, sottotitoli italiano / English, Italian subtitles

Trailer

Comments are closed.